Monday, October 27, 2008

Perspective

Today I opened a fortune cookie. My fortune was: Your perspective will shift. That was the source of minor speculation amongst a few coworkers. But tonight, I realized that coincidentally that fortune is true.

My moving deadline has been approaching rapidly. At first I was distressed at the mere thought of having to move back to Wisconsin. Then the thought began to grow on me. Or as I like to say, I was talking myself into it. As I continued to view rental properties that were overpriced, Wisconsin began looking better and better. Then I came across a duplex that was within my price range and somewhat cute on the inside. It was the only rental that I applied for out here. Upon receiving my application the property management group let me know that there were several applicants ahead of me. It seemed that my chances of staying in California were getting slimmer.

With that in mind I began making plans to move back home. I was talking with friends and family on a daily basis. And I started to consider that as I had gotten older, home might not be so bad anymore. I reminded myself that it would be nice to be home for the holidays. It also would be nice to see my friends on a regular basis, not just an hour in an overbooked vacation schedule. Just as I was becoming comfortable with the idea of living in the midwest again, I received notification that I was approved for the duplex.

Now I had to consider whether staying was the right thing for me to do. It was then that I realized my perspective on life had changed. I used to believe that I could only be happy living in California. Even as a young girl, I swore I would spend my adult life living out west. After alot of introspection, I realized that staying for one year would allow me to pursue the career options I am interested in. But, if I am unhappy with my situation in a year, I can still go home. I can go home knowing that I gave it my all and I wouldn't have to wonder what if?

Now, I believe that home is where your heart is. Home is not the kind of house you have or the town you live in. Home is what you make of it. Home is where you build your friends and family. Home is where you are happy.

It's funny how your perspective changes as you go through life. It's ironic that I had to move 2,300 miles away from home to understand the meaning of home. And for once my fortune cookie came true.

1 comment:

Madelyn said...

Amy, I am happy that you are coming around to my way of thinking. You need to keep an open mind about life and remember that there is nothing wrong with alittle positive thinking. Now, If I could change your mind about some other things. Have fun in your new place:)