Friday, October 24, 2008

Fantasy Football

Several people at my job decided to start a fantasy football league this year. I was asked to co-captain a team with a co-worker. I must admit that at first I was hesitant to join. I remember stating that my knowledge of football was limited...limited to the Green Bay Packers. The response I received was, "You are from Wisconsin, isn't football in your DNA?" Let me be the first to clear up that misconception; being a Wisconsinite does not automatically make you a football genius. Still my curiosity was peaked, so I began my fantasy football journey.

My co-captain and I researched every player possible prior to our draft date. We studied all the numbers and learned the rules of the league. On draft day, I was a little more than nervous. We were one of the last in the draft lineup so we didn't get all of our first choices. Still, we were determined to make it work with what we had and of course try to make good pick ups off the waiver wire.

Our team name started out as Green Lightning. A tribute to my Packers and to my co-captain's Chargers. We outlasted all the boys in the first four weeks and after week 4 were still undefeated. As a tribute to our star player that week, Brett Favre, we re-named our team to honor his amazing performance. Six touchdowns, need I say more? After week 4, I began to realize just how much fun fantasy football was.

We are now in week 8 and I am certain that I have never watched this much football in my life. And yes, I grew up in Wisconsin! We are no longer undefeated, but our record is decent at 5-2. I think I can speak for my co-captain as well when I say that this experience has been more fun than I ever thought it would be.

My final word on this subject is: if you ever get the opportunity to play fantasy football...do it. It doesn't matter how skilled you are at the game, how much knowledge you have of the game or what your gender is. I have had fun with this and I am sure I will play again next year!

No comments: